Friday, March 7, 2008

i, the convalescent

In my week away from any sort of responsibility aside from healing I had to fill a lot of downtime. I would like to share with everyone what I did with all of this extra time and recommend a few items in case you ever lose your appendix. If you already do not have one, I am sorry I could not be there for you sooner.

I have listened to more NPR pod-casts than I know how to handle. (see itunes store for free subscriptions to various pod-casts)

Books:

The History of Love - Nicole Krauss' book entered into my top 5 list this week and I don't see it ever losing that distinction. It has similarities in content and style with Jonathan Safran Foer's Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, but something makes this one stand out.
Autobiography of Red - I am a third through this "novel in verse" recreation of a present day Geryon and Herakles. Anne Carson can put together words like few others. Honestly, I have trouble sitting through more than a few poems at a time, but this keeps me intrigued and I have even re-read a few of the short "chapters" already.

Music:

Laura Marling - Very young, very talented gal from England.

Jaymay - Fairly young, very talented gal from New York.


Movies and TV:

Taxi - This show is a classic, put it on hold at the library.
The Wire - It took us three months just to find the first three episodes at blockbuster and the hold line at the library is about 100 people long. Try and borrow this from a friend if you can.
Flight of the Conchords -

The Darjeeling Limited - Any Wes Anderson film is worth owning. I want to buy a big flat screen tv just for his movies. I feel like I miss out on a lot of the details on an 18".

3 comments:

Jeffrey said...

I still have my appendix, so I'll save this post for if it ever gets removed.

As for podcasts, I have a list of incredible podcasts to recommend to you. Up to now, I felt like I was one of the only people I know who actually listen to podcasts.

As for books, I made a stretch goal of reading 52 books this year. Of course, I decided this in mid-February and I am WAY behind. I'm only on book five. Eek!

I enjoyed Marling more than Jaymay, but I think that video will give me nightmares.

If you like The Wire, you totally need to check out The Shield (the best television show ever).

If you ever feel the need to watch a movie, theater style, you're always welcome in my home (I'd even give you a key). I have a Polk Audio 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound with a 52" flat screen. It's sweetness.

http://www.jigsawdust.com

brice said...

Flight of the Conchords is the best! I'm excited for the next season (if there is one). I wonder if they have the Darjeeling in high definition.

J. Scott Overman said...

Laura Marling, Jaymay & Likke Li have gotten lots of airtime thanks to your chic mix. That Laura Marling video reminds me of a brighter, happier version of the graveyard scene in Disneyland's Haunted Mansion Ride. You can find it at about 4:30 in the below video.

http://www.youtube.com/v/vJt1TwqceYY&hl=en