Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Chili and Fingernails

So I cut off a fourth of my fingernail yesterday--and the newly exposed skin bled far more than I enjoyed. My sister gave me a great set of knives for Christmas; knives that make chopping apples, onions, carrots, and fingers incredibly easy. I was slicing a yellow bell pepper for a pot of black bean chili when suddenly my thumb met my knife which amazingly managed to just slice off my fingernail (my actual skin remained unscathed). But there was a lot of blood, which is always unappetizing when you are trying to cook a pot of food, but I managed to clean off my finger, apply two-three band aids, and finish chopping my vegetables within ten minutes. I found this amazing recipe for black bean chili over the weekend. Cutting off my fingernail was unpleasant, but well worth the pain. This chili is good. And so after making one pot on Sunday, I made another pot yesterday, and I am tempted to make another pot over the upcoming weekend--yes I do tend to get obsessive when I find something I like. But I thought I'd share the recipe, and hopefully you can enjoy it as much as I do (especially if you manage to keep your fingers knife free)
1 Bell Pepper
1 Onion
Olive Oil
1-2 Cans of Black Beans
1/2 Can of Diced Tomatoes
1/2 Can of Tomato Sauce (8 oz)
Cumin
Chile Powder
Vegetable Broth
Chop the bell pepper and onion. Saute for about 5 minutes in 1 TBS of Olive Oil. Add 1 Cup of Vegetable Broth, 1-2 Cans of Black Beans, 1/2 Can of Tomatoes, 1/2 Can of Tomato Sauce. Add desired amounts of Cumin and Chile Powder (make it as spicy as you like!) Bring to a boil and then cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Canned Corn can also be added for extra color and deliciousness. Serve with cheese, sour cream, cornbread. I hope you enjoy!

No comments: